Thursday, November 30, 2006

"The Crucible" - Integrity :]

Integrity: “The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles that you refuse to change”

Integrity can be seen in “The Crucible” with a few characters, such as Elizabeth Proctor and Rebecca Nurse, but most of all in John Proctor.

When Proctor realises that he must stop Abigail and her intentions, he understands that to do this he must admit to his adultery. His pride and fear of what people may think stopped him from admitting it previously, but towards the end of the play he is far more concerned about his values, and integrity than his reputation and what people will think of him.

He also must do this to save his wife from hanging. He doesn’t want people to think badly of him, yet puts his integrity before the opinion of the village. After being accused of witchcraft, Proctor goes on to keep his word, he refuses to give a false confession, and stands up for his beliefs and doesn’t lie. He believes that to give a false confession would be dishonouring himself and his principles as well as others around him. And so originally he is prepared to die rather than lie to the court, and give up his soul. He believes that this is the right thing to do, and that God would rather him do this than lie and confess to a crime he has not committed.

Proctor comes very close to confessing witchcraft, and even signs the confession, but then takes it back wanting to save his name at least. This leads him to rethink, and he sacrifices himself for his own integrity.

“Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!”

When Proctor says this “with a cry of his whole soul,” he is standing up to everything he believes in, and trying to save all that he has left. He feels that he has given everything he has, and to live now, without his soul or his name, would be pointless and worse than being hanged for it. If he was to live now after confessing, he would be living one big lie, and his reputation as well as his soul would be in ruins.

“He have his goodness now. God forbid I take it from him!”

Elizabeth accepts that this is what Proctor wants to do, and so does not try to influence him into confessing. We see how much they truly love each other, as she lets him do what he believes to be right, and recognises that this makes him a better person in his eyes. And doesn’t feel she has the right to take this from him as it’s his decision.

Elizabeth also shows personal integrity. She remains truthful throughout, and seems a genuine and honest woman.

“In her life, sir, she have never lied. There are them that cannot sing, and them that cannot weep – my wife cannot lie.”

Having Proctor say this, Elizabeth then does in fact lie to Danforth and the court, denying that Proctor was lecher, however this can almost be overlooked, as it only shows how great her love is for John. Even when John’s life is in danger, she still doesn’t falter to tell him to do what he wants, and has no say in the matter, only that she wants him to live.

“As you will John I would have it. I want you living, John. That’s sure.”

Rebecca Nurse is also a good example of integrity, as she never once falters, or considers confessing to witchcraft. She keeps her values throughout, and almost expects all the others to do the same.

“Why, it is a lie, it is a lie; how may I damn myself? I cannot, I cannot.”

Rebecca feels that to be confessing to a crime that she did not commit would be “damning” herself, and she would not allow herself to lie to anyone.
When she hears that Proctor is to confess she says

“Oh, John – God send his mercy on you!”

She finds it hard to believe that he is lowering himself to these lies, simply to save himself.
...
:] Ali, Becca, Chris

No comments: